Ohio Avenue Elementary School
Columbus City Schools, Columbus, Ohio
Ricciuti Balog Harris, a Joint Venture, was the Architect of Record for the Columbus City Schools' first restoration and addition of an existing Pre-K through 5th-grade elementary school under the OSFC program. The original 1893 building, containing 40,722 square feet, was restored to protect the historic character of its Neo-classical architecture.
A new cafeteria addition was constructed serving as a connector between the historic 1893 wing and the existing 1968 wing. A 1950’s addition was demolished to accommodate the new cafeteria and ancillary support structure. The 1968 wing was renovated to support the administrative core/media center/computer lab and kindergarten classrooms.
The entire site was redesigned to accommodate new vehicular drop off lanes and large bus drop off systems. Exterior site landscape improvements create a new student courtyard, playgrounds, and softscape plazas adjacent to a newly designed building entry.